Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Down to the Wire: Choosing My Name

In case you don't know, my fiance has an absolutely fantastic name: Adam Cyril Methodius Solove. Cyril and Methodius are his confirmation saints, the men who brought Christianity to Eastern Europe a millennium ago. Tall, blond, broad-set, hooded eyes, a chiseled nose--Adam is the picture of the Eastern European background that gives him his surname. A. C. M. Solove fits him like a glove.

I'm fairly happy with my born name, too. Alison Michelle Fincher has just the right combination of sweeping feminine and harsher masculine sounds. I am the picture of Anglo-Irishness, so the surname Fincher fits.

I want to make the sybmolic gesture of joining Adam's family by taking his surname. The reality that tiny, Anglo-Irish me must take on a distinctively Eastern European surname cannot be escaped. But what of my middle names?:

Michelle--the middle name given to me by my parents. I have a certain fondness for it.

Lucy--my confirmation saint. Another lovely, feminine name.

Fincher--my maiden name. There are no male Finchers in my generation, so I feel something of an obligation to salvage it in my name.

Alison Michelle Lucy Fincher Solove? I don't think so. But what combination? What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. My mom had two middle names before she married, and in the end she replaced both with her maiden name. It must not have been an easy decision, since the middle names had significance in her family.

    I'll be interested to know what you decide to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Alison Michelle Fincher Solove.

    i think it's got a nice ring to it, and i feel that it's important for the bride to keep up the name of her own family.

    you guys're gonna rock your wedding. i cannot wait to hear about it! i'm in the district, by the way, and would love to see you guys after all the wedding madness and such!

    oh, it's andrew by the way, just in case you didn't recognize the new moniker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the previous comment. I like Alison Michelle Fincher Solove. Although if you wanted to have one of those extremeley long names, you could go with Alison Michelle Lucy Fincher Solove. Let us know what you decide!

    ReplyDelete