Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Our Readings: The New Testament

This is part three out of (presumably) four about the readings Adam and I have chosen for our wedding. You can read about our Old Testament and Psalm readings in the archives.

The New Testament has a huge number of readings about wedding. Still, it's amazing how difficult it is to choose one that's neither such a cliché it would be meaningless at a wedding--or that, read out of context, seems sexist to modern ears.

Adam and I finally settled on the last chapter of Hebrews:

Let mutual love continue. Do not neglect hospitality, for through it some have unknowingly entertained angels. Be mindful of prisoners as if sharing their imprisonment, and of the ill-treated as of yourselves, for you also are in the body. Let marriage be honored among all and the marriage bed kept undefiled...Let your life be free from love of money but be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never forsake you or abandon you." Thus we may say with confidence: "The Lord is my helper, [and] I will not be afraid."


As I've spoken about before, Adam and I wanted to choose readings that would challenge us on entering into our married lives. This reading is a perfect description of the home Adam and I want to share with each other, and eventually with a family: hospitable, charitable, holy, generous, and unafraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment