Monday, April 27, 2009

The Veil

I don't normally seek out advice on this blog, but it's worth a shot.

My mom laughed at me when we went dress shopping because every dressed had to be matched with a veil before I felt "like a bride." A long, flowing veil adds that mysterious charm, the once-in-a-lifetime allure or a bride. Not mention a veil is traditionally the symbol of a woman's purity. To me, the veil makes the dress.

When I went for my fitting, I found the most gorgeous, cathedral-length lace veil. Stunning. Mom said my face lit up with they put it on my. Even though I knew the lace didn't quite go with my dress, I've not got an itch for all that lovely lace that I can't scratch.

Two problems: A, budget. That gorgeous, cathedral-length lace veil costs $300. B, Adam. My fiancé doesn't get it. And why bother with an investment that significant if my groom is going to roll his eyes while I walk down the aisle.

He's right about the width of the veil. I'm only 5'3" (ish) and 115 lbs. I need a narrow veil for my frame. But what about the length?

Do we compromise on a lovely, finger-tip length veil like these?

Or do I totally give into his hesitations, and my parents' pocket-book, and settle for a simpler number?

I need to call the bridal store in the next few days to tell them what we've decided. What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I think the fingertip length ones are better because they give a sense of flow to the whole ensemble. Given that I don't know what your dress looks like it's hard to make a really informed decision, but I think the shorter veils look a little choppy - a bit poofy because of their length and end at an awkward part of the arm. The longer ones move more naturally as you move your arms and torso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point. My dress is strapless and sweetheart cut. It's got a lace overlay and a very short, simple train. It's also "candlelight" instead of white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could post a request on etsy for a custom made veil, with a picture of your dress, and see how you can monetarily there, as well as getting advice from designers about what might fit the dress and you best...

    http://www.etsy.com/category/weddings

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. fingertip, definitely. after all, this is your once-in-a-lifetime chance to wear a veil. it makes sense to revel in it a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved a floor-length (not quite cathedral) veil that I tried on for myself, Emily and Sarah said it gave me a bridal aura and didn't overwhelm me at all. So, bully to Adam and his "small frame" stuff, he's not supposed to know about what you'll be wearing anyways. :-)

    Does anyone you know have a veil you can borrow, or can you find one at a second hand or antique store? Alternatively, you could make you own, fix a long piece of tulle to a comb and then find a lace border you like and sew it on yourself.

    ReplyDelete