Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Abundance

Without going into too much personal detail, I have to own up a little concern about living expenses for the summer. I've been living fairly frugally in Oxford (and Adam in Seattle), but frugal living isn't really the kind of living I like. It's not that I crave a life of luxury or nice new things. But I would like to go out to a nice dinner or two with friends, to throw parties with nice food, or to be able to buy nice presents for others. A summer back in DC with people I love but no money seems...well... unideal.

That's why I was so encouraged by today's scripture reading, 2 Corinithians 9: 6-11:
Consider this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.Each must do as already determined, without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. Moreover, God is able to make every grace abundant for you, so that in all things, always having all you need, you may have an abundance for every good work. As it is written: "He scatters abroad, he gives to the poor; his righteousness endures forever." The one who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You are being enriched in every way for all generosity, which through us produces thanksgiving to God.
I know money isn't necessary to do nice things for others. But I felt really blessed by the reminder that God will take care of us and that always, no matter what, there will be enough leftover for us to help take care of others, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment