Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Oxford: A Reflection on Gratitude



A priest recently assigned me to sit and think of the people and experiences I'm grateful for in Oxford. I suppose it's a really good exercise for life, to accept where we are and love life the way it is. So, here's a list (in no particular order) of some of the things about Oxford I'm most grateful for:
  • Oxford is truly beautiful. I've never lived somewhere with this much architectural beauty--and probably never will again. It's taught me to pay more attention to beauty in my daily life, not to overlook it as common-place.
  • For the first time in my life, I have a wonderful group of female friends. Making female friends has been a real challenge for me all of my life. I feel so immensely grateful for the women I've met here and their acceptance.
  • I've been a part of a wonderful Christian community this past year. I prayed so hard for one last year. I often felt lost and alone. This year, I've felt the love and support of the Catholics and the chaplaincy and many of my Christian coursemates.
  • All of my coursemates are awesome and amazing. I'm always grateful for the chance to be around other clever people. It helps me keep my own life and education in perspective.
  • CLC has changed my life.
  • I would never have gotten involved in ballet if it wasn't for the Oxford University Dance Society. Dancing on stage was an amazing experience. I am strong and flexible as I've ever been. And I've learned to truly love ballet, as a performer and a spectator.
  • I'm so glad to have been able to learn so much about English culture! Beans on toast... Doctor Who... tea... But I'm grateful for the subtle ways being in England has affected my American psyche. I don't feel rushed urgency the way I used to. It's a habit I hope I can keep.
  • Most of all, I've made friendships that I hope will last a lifetime. So many of my Oxford friends have already changed my life.
The last week has been pretty difficult. I'm feeling desperate to finish my dissertation, be with Adam again, and to get on with my life. But this is my life right now. And it's beautiful.

(Sorry for the quality of the recording of my favorite pep song. They sound WAY better on the CD!)

5 comments:

  1. La vita è bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your feelings of being desperate to finish the dissertation. Mine died in labour and seems to be resisting all attempts at resuscitation. I don't think that I will be able to get a distinction - however much I might be able to want it. This has left me feeling quite dejected.

    But reading your post about all the things that there are to be grateful for has reminded me of how good things actually are. I can't believe that while there are tens of thousands of people out there who have not had the privileges and amazing experiences which I have had, I can be sitting here thinking that everything is bad because I have under-performed based on my own expectations. I mean, it's not really the end of the world, is it?

    And this dissertation WILL be over soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alison, this was so beautiful! I am so happy that you were able to have this experience and that you have managed to cherish every moment of it. I admire you also for not just wanting to get through your life at this moment. I struggled with that this past semester, just wanting to be done. England will be something that you will remember for the rest of your life...and you will be able to share these stories with your whole family! That is exciting! I am really excited for you and I can't wait to see you soon!

    (Oh, and the previous post was deleted because I was signed in as my Lindsey friend instead of myself :) Sometimes I am retarded)

    ReplyDelete