Friday, May 8, 2009

Experiences I Wish I Could Have Shared with Adam #1


After a few days of fairly heavy posts, I thought I'd offer something a bit lighter.

Oxford academic years are divided into three eight-week terms: Michelmas, Hilary, and Trinity. For people who are
n't sitting exams, Trinity Term is the fun term. There's a lot of work to be done, but the mood shifts from gloom and panic to a better sense of perspective and fun. That's where punting comes in.

Punting is a lot like riding in a gondola. Well, a bit. It's actually a lot more rustic. Beautiful. Someone stands in the back of the boat and pushes it along the river, steering by using the pole as a kind of rudder. Everyone else lounges in the front of the boat, soaking in the sun--or at least the light glare off the clouds. Adam and I have never had the great fortune to go punting together, but I did have a delightful time punting with friends.

Punting together made it onto a recent "to-do list for life" that Adam made. Hopefully I'll post more about that later. See more punting pictures here.

No comments:

Post a Comment