Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wedding Ethics

Last term, I posted about a "Catholicism and Economics" reading group I've been attending at the Chaplaincy. I joined the group hoping to get a better handle on my own buying decisions. I know that statement seems a bit pretentious, so please let my try to explain.

In a Capitalist market, I, as a consumer, have many buying choices. But with those choices comes a certain responsibility. If, for example, I buy clothes only from stores that mass produce, I'm contributing to the downfall of local enterprise. If I buy milk in a plastic jug, I'm telling milk farmers that biodegradable materials aren't important to me. And so forth...


Ultimately, I've deduced that responsible buying means never putting price at the top of my list of priorities. When I buy something, it ought to be the best value, not the cheapest product available. A hand-made skirt from Etsy might cost more, but it will probably last longer than one from Target--and it was made by a small-scale producer working in an environment where she could take a sense of pride and accomplishment in her work, rather than mass-produced in an impersonal factory.

But knowing price can't be my highest priority is only the first step. I have to decide what does matter to me. What labels do I look for? Sustainable? Hand-made? Local? Organic? Fair trade? On top of that, how much can I cut down on my consumption--period--regardless of a products "localness" of "sustainability"? Suddenly moral buying decisions become more complicated than I ever anticipated them being.


These are the sorts of questions Adam and I have increasingly been asking ourselves about the way we spend our money. It's difficult, but we're trying to take buying decisions seriously. In a Capitalist market, its the best way we have to tell producers what's important to us.
The way we spend our money ought to reflect what we find important. That's why we've tried to take those kinds of factors into consideration when planning our wedding.

"Ethical weddings" have come into vogue in the past few years. Dozens of websites, like
EthicalWeddings.com, offer brides thousands of suggestions from serving a vegan/organic brownie wedding cake to packing your entire bridal party onto a London bus to save on CO2 emissions. The massive lists suggestions is alarming... and guilt-inducing. In the end, I think it's important for me to accept that the buying decisions I make for my wedding, and my life, are never going to perfectly reflect my values. There's just no realistic way to always choose the "most ethical" product in a market with this many choices. Still, I'm happy with the little ways we've been able to incorporate ethical buying decisions into our wedding:
  • We hired a local, small-scale caterer and baker. Our caterer is a friend of my mom's. I'm very excited to be working with someone with whom we have a personal relationship.
  • We chose to have fewer flowers, and flowers which are not difficult to find. By cutting the number of flowers, we saved a lot of money. We were also able to get flowers that are seasonal, which cuts down on CO2 emissions racked up in shipping plants.
  • We are having our invitations hand-made by an Etsy artisan. As a bonus, she's also using paper from sustainable forests. You can read more about our invitations here.
  • I bought a dress from a small, local store. Again, going local has been a good move. The shop attendants at Natalie's Bridal have been incredibly helpful. They're even communicating with me over the internet about my veil.
  • And we've stayed in budget! Adam and I really wanted to stay in budget as a sign of respect and gratitude to my parents for paying for our celebration.
Can you think of other ways we could make our wedding a little better?

3 comments:

  1. Yay! It's so good to know that I'm not the only person who worries about these things :)
    Any ways to make it better...? I don't think I've ever attended a Westerner's wedding, so I have no idea what it is you guys do at weddings... I've seen them in movies (the God Father and Goodfellas come to mind???) but that doesn't help much either.

    Can you work in an angle about planting trees? That seems pretty environmentally friendly all 'round.

    Best of luck on the big day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! RC is a dear friend of mine, and she suggested that I read your blog and offer my ideas, as our interest in sustainable consume choices is mutual.

    First of all, congratulations!
    Secondly, from what RC relates and what I can tell, you sound great. I wish we'd be great friends - maybe if I'm able to visit Oxford this summer :)

    Thirdly, I haven't read all of your blog yet so I don't know if you've decided about wedding rings. Here are some ring-related links to consider, if it's still in the planning phase...

    Of course, heirloom or pawnshop rings are always better choices than newly-created rings... but if a hand-me-down isn't available and pawnshops aren't your style, here are some alternative ideas:

    http://www.credjewellery.com/pages/sepolicy

    http://www.greenkarat.com/

    http://www.brilliantearth.com/dispcont.aspx?pageid=WHY_BE
    (Brilliant Earth is at Union Square, San Francisco?)

    http://www.leberjeweler.com/earthwise/amelia_milgrain.php3

    http://www.simplywoodrings.com/wood_ring_gallery/index.html


    Finally, I own a copy of Green Weddings That Don't Cost the Earth by Carol Reed-Jones http://www.amazon.com/Green-Weddings-That-Dont-Earth/dp/0965083306 and found it useful in helping the brides whose weddings I have had the honor to be in, and lent it to one or two dorm mates at Westmont, as well.

    I wish you all the best! Keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your help! Adam bought my ring with the intention of having a molded one made to match--it isn't really a round ring, so that's the only way I'm going to be able to wear both on the same finger.

    We'd planned to buy a set, but I'd love the fun of looking at second-hand shops for his ring! That's a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete